Monday, April 27, 2009

"Let my people BLOG!"

Oh has it been one of those seasons. One of those times when I feel like everything is caving in around me and it is hard to find even a glimmer of hope. As I prayed for encouragement today I ran across these verses in the Bible.
Joshua 21:43-45
So the Lord gave Israel all the land he had sworn to give their forefathers, and they took possession of it and settled there. The Lord gave them rest on every side, just as he had sworn to their forefathers. Not one of their enemies withstood them; the Lord handed all their enemies over to them. Not one of all the Lord’s good promises to the house of Israel failed; every one was fulfilled.
NOT ONE OF ALL THE LORD’S GOOD PROMISES FAILED; EVERY ONE WAS FULFILLED.
Today it seems to me that there is no way that every one of God’s promises is going to be fulfilled in my life. That is what my feelings tell me, yet the word of God tells me something very different. My feelings tell me I have made too many mistakes, had too many doubts, that the circumstance looks hopeless, and that God is not going to come through. OH HOW MUCH I HAVE IN COMMON with the Israelites! The Israelites seemed to forget God’s faithfulness the moment after His amazing miracles. They constantly looked at the circumstances they could see instead of remembering how many times God had provided. They bickered, doubted, even turned to false gods. Yet GOD WAS FAITHFUL to them. They did not earn His faithfulness or provision, but that is the God we serve. Thank you Lord!
It is so comforting to know that God uses people. People who make grave mistakes. God called David the murdering adulterer “a man after God’s own heart.” Knowing Peter’s weaknesses Jesus still called him to be a founder of the church! God knew the Israelites would complain and turn their backs on Him, yet he still set them free from slavery and gave them the Promised Land.
I think my struggle is truly letting go what my “promised land” is supposed to look like. I feel like I know so well WHAT it is and HOW it is supposed to look and the BEST way to get there! When it doesn’t go the way expected I feel such despair and fear as though it is all over. Maybe my promised land as I saw it is never going to come to pass, but I find comfort in knowing He will be faithful to me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this ministered to me so much. i'm in a similar place and this just reminded me that God is so faithful. i'd like to think that after being saved since i was 7, my faith would be unshakable. but it's entries like these that remind me that i'm not the only one that sometimes feels doubt when things aren't progressing the way i'd like them to and that God is so faithful. thanks for posting this. xoxo

LADYLIGHTHOUSE said...

Thanks!!! I am so happy it encouraged you! Love you :)